The power lift gate on your Toyota RAV4 or Highlander has a number of convenient ways you can open and close it. This guide will show you how to do it.
Note: This method is specific to the fourth generation of RAV4 built between 2012 and 2018, code named XA40.
From inside of the Vehicle
- From inside the vehicle, pressing and holding power liftgate button once (next to steering wheel) will open or close the lift gate.
- Pressing the button during the door’s operation will pause it.
- To reverse the action, press and hold it again.
From outside the vehicle
- From outside the vehicle, the lift gate can be opened by pressing and momentarily holding power lift gate button on your smart key until you hear a beep.
- To reverse the action press and hold it again.
- On the door, you can use the switch mounted under the Toyota emblem. With your smart key in proximity, press it once. A beep will sound and the door will open.
- To close press the button on the inside of the lift gate.
- Pressing the button when the door is opening or closing will stop it. Pressing it again, will reverse the action.
The power lift gate opening height can be customized to your preference in a couple of different ways.
- With the door open, gently adjust the door to your preferred opening height.
- Then, press and hold the power lift gate button until you hear four beeps confirming it’s been set.
- The next time you open the power lift gate, it will open to your set height.
Adjusting height from instrument cluster display
Another way to customize the power lift gate is in the multi-information display.
- Using the steering wheel mounted controls, go to the Settings menu.
- Scroll to the PBD, or power back door icon and select it.
- Select System Settings and use the center button to choose all off or all on.
- Press the back arrow to save your setting.
- Scroll down for the Opening Adjustment and select it. This lets you set the rear door to one of several preset heights.
- Use the up or down arrow buttons to choose your desired opening height and press the center button to save the setting.
- The beep volume can be adjusted on some vehicles, by pressing the center button repeatedly.
- Once you’ve made your selections, press the back arrow and the system will save your settings.
Adjusting height from infotainment system
On some Toyota models, you may be able to adjust the power lift gate’s opening height settings through the multimedia system’s display.
- From the settings menu, select Other Vehicle Settings.
- Then select Power Back Door Opening Adjust.
- The opening height of the rear door can be set to one of a few preset heights.
- Once you’ve made your selections, select the back arrow and the system will save your settings.