One of the convenient features of the Toyota Fortuner is its power liftgate, which makes it easy to access the cargo area without having to struggle with heavy lifting. In this article, we will discuss three ways to open the power liftgate in a Toyota Fortuner.
Whether you are approaching the vehicle with the key fob, inside the vehicle, or behind the vehicle, there are multiple ways to access the cargo area with ease. Let’s explore each of these methods in detail to help you make the most of this convenient feature.
Opening the liftgate from the inside
Opening the liftgate from the inside of your Toyota Fortuner is a convenient way to access the cargo area without having to step outside of the vehicle. Here are the steps to follow:
- Unlock all the doors. Liftgate cannot be opened when the vehicle is locked.
- Locate the liftgate button on the instrument panel.
- Press and hold the button to open the back door. A loud beeping sound can be heard when the liftgate is opening.
- Once you have finished loading or unloading your cargo, you can close the liftgate by pressing and holding the liftgate button again. The power liftgate will automatically close, and you can continue your journey.
Note: If the liftgate does not open or close using the button, make sure that the vehicle is in park, the key fob is within range, and the vehicle is unlocked.
Opening the liftgate from the outside
Opening the power liftgate from the outside of your Toyota Fortuner is essential when you have your hands full with groceries, luggage, or other items. Fortunately, the power liftgate on Fortuner can be opened from the outside with ease.
This method works on most Fortuner vehicles
- When the back door is locked: While carrying the electronic key on your person, press and hold the back door opener switch.
If the above method doesn’t work
- Press the back door opener switch to unlock the vehicle.
- Press the back door opener switch again to open the power liftgate.
Note: Pressing the switch while the back door is opening stops the operation.
Opening the liftgate with key fob
The key fob for your Toyota Fortuner is a powerful tool that allows you to access various features of your vehicle from a distance. One of the features that you can control using the key fob is the power liftgate. Here are the steps to follow to open the liftgate with the key fob:
- Press the unlock button on the key fob.
- Press and hold the liftgate button on the key fob to open the liftgate.
- Once you have finished loading or unloading your cargo, you can close the liftgate by pressing and holding the liftgate button again.
Note: If the liftgate does not open or close using the key fob, make sure that the key fob is within range (less than 100 feet).
Closing the liftgate
In addition to using the liftgate button on the key fob or the dashboard, there is a dedicated switch located below the liftgate that allows you to close the liftgate.
In summary, the Toyota Fortuner has a variety of convenient methods to open and close the liftgate, including using the key fob, the switch on the liftgate, the dashboard switch, and the switch under the liftgate. These methods offer flexibility and ease of use, allowing you to access the cargo area quickly and easily, making loading and unloading cargo a breeze.
It is important to note that if you encounter any issues with the liftgate system, refer to your owner’s manual or contact your Toyota dealer for assistance.
Liftgate jam protection function
The power liftgate in a Toyota Fortuner is equipped with sensors on both sides that detect any objects that may be blocking the door as it closes. If an object is detected by the sensors, the liftgate’s jam protection function is activated, which causes the liftgate to stop and move a little in the opposite direction. This feature is designed to prevent any damage or injury that may occur if an object becomes caught or trapped in the liftgate.
It is important to note that intentionally trying to activate the jam protection function on the liftgate of a Toyota Fortuner using any part of your body is dangerous and should be avoided at all times. While the jam protection function is designed to detect and prevent any objects from being caught or trapped in the liftgate, it may not always work if something gets caught just before the back door fully closes. Additionally, the function may not work effectively depending on the shape of the object that is caught. Therefore, it is crucial to exercise caution and avoid catching fingers or any other body part when using the power liftgate.
Power liftgate safety precautions
Using power liftgate can be a convenient feature in Toyota Fortuner, but it is essential to take proper safety precautions to avoid any accidents or damage. Here are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using the power liftgate in your Toyota Fortuner:
- Always make sure that there is enough clearance above and behind the liftgate before opening or closing it.
- Do not stand too close to the liftgate while it is operating, as this can cause injury.
- Make sure that all passengers are clear of the liftgate before operating it.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from the liftgate’s moving parts to avoid getting caught or injured.
- If there is a power failure or malfunction, avoid using the power liftgate and open and close the liftgate manually.
By following these safety precautions, you can help ensure that you and your passengers remain safe while using the power liftgate on your Toyota Fortuner.