Properly adjusted mirrors are essential for safe driving. The side view mirrors on a Toyota Fortuner are adjustable and can be easily set up to ensure optimal visibility. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of adjusting your side view mirrors in a Toyota Fortuner.
Before adjusting the mirrors, park your vehicle on a level surface and adjust the seat and steering wheel to your liking. This will ensure that you are in the correct driving position when adjusting the mirrors.
Here are the steps to adjust the side view mirrors in a Toyota Fortuner:
Step 1: Locate the mirror adjustment switch (which looks like a small joystick) on the driver’s side door panel next to the window control switches.
Step 2: Rotate the knob to L or R depending on which mirror you want to adjust, left or right.
Step 3: Adjust the mirror by moving the top of the knob to left, right, forward, and backward.
Step 4: Check the mirrors to make sure they provide a clear view of the surrounding area. You should be able to see the area behind and to the side of your vehicle.
Note: Adjust both the side view mirrors.
Step 5: Once you have adjusted the mirrors to your liking, lock them in place by rotating the mirror knob to the center lock position.
When adjusting the side view mirrors in a Toyota Fortuner, it’s important to take certain safety precautions to avoid accidents or injuries. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Before adjusting the mirrors, make sure your vehicle is parked on a flat surface.
- Always wear your seatbelt when seated in the driver’s seat.
- Make sure the mirrors are clean and free from any dirt or debris that could obstruct your view.
- Adjust the mirrors slowly and carefully, making small adjustments until you have a clear view of the surrounding area.
- Do not adjust the mirrors while driving, as this can distract you from the road and cause an accident.
- Do not drive with the mirrors folded.
- Both the driver and passenger side mirrors must be extended and properly adjusted before driving.
- To avoid personal injury and mirror malfunction, be careful not to get your hand caught by the moving mirror. Make sure your hands are clear of the mirror and its housing while adjusting the mirrors.
- Always check your mirrors before changing lanes, turning, or backing up.
- Remember that the side view mirrors are only one part of your overall visibility when driving, so always use your rearview mirror and check your blind spots as well.
If ice should jam the mirror
In cold weather, ice can jam the mirror and make it difficult to adjust. If this happens, do not operate the control or scrape the mirror face. Instead, use a spray de-icer to free the mirror. Applying warm water to the mirror is also an option, but be sure to avoid using hot water as this can cause the mirror to crack. Once the mirror is free, adjust it as necessary to ensure optimal visibility.
By following these safety precautions, you can ensure that your side view mirrors are properly adjusted and that you have a clear view of your surroundings, making for a safer and more enjoyable driving experience.