Honda CR-V supports remote start feature that allows you to remotely start the engine of your vehicle for the purpose of cooling or preheating the interior before the passengers gets to it.
The remote start feature on Honda CR-V has many benefits. You can start your vehicle in advance when the weather is too hot or cold outside. The system turns on the air conditioning or heating, making inside cabin temperature more tolerable when you get to your vehicle.
Enable remote start system in CR-V
Before you can remotely start your CR-V, you must enable the remote start system in your vehicle. From the infotainment system home screen, select Settings > Vehicle > Keyless Access Setup > Remote Start System On/Off and turn the feature to ON position.
Remote start procedure for CR-V
You can remotely start your Honda CR-V by following these simple steps:
- Press the LOCK button on the key fob of your CR-V.
- Then press and hold the REMOTE START button for a few seconds on the key fob.
- Some exterior lights flash six times if the engine starts successfully.
- Once started remotely, the engine will run for 10 minutes and then shut down automatically.
The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the engine. A valid key must be inside your vehicle to switch the ignition on and drive your vehicle.
Remotely stop CR-V’s engine
Press and hold the REMOTE START button on the key fob for one second to remotely stop the engine of your Honda CR-V. The parking lights turn off and the doors remain locked. For this to work, the remote must be in the range of the smart entry system. If the remote is out of the range, the engine will not stop and the exterior lights will not flash. The exterior lights flash once if the engine stops successfully.
Driving after remote start
While the engine is running by remote engine start, Brake + Push Start notification will appear in the instrument cluster display of your CR-V when you unlock and open the driver’s door. Depress the brake pedal and press the ENGINE START/STOP button simultaneously.
The engine stops when the shift lever is moved out of P before the ENGINE START/STOP button is pressed.
Extend engine running time
When you remotely start the engine of your Honda CR-V, it will run for 10 minutes and then shut off automatically. You can perform another remote start procedure by pressing the LOCK button and then holding the REMOTE START button on the key fob, which will run the engine for another 10 minutes.
Maximum two remote starts
A maximum of two remote starts are allowed between ignition cycles on CR-V. The vehicle must be started normally before the remote start procedure can be used again.
While the engine is running, the vehicle will automatically precondition inside the vehicle.
When it is warm outside:
The air conditioning is activated in recirculation mode.
When it is cold outside:
- The defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature.
- The rear defogger and door mirror heaters are activated.
- The seat and heated steering wheel are activated.
Note: Not all vehicles are equipped with door mirror heaters and heated steering wheel.
Remote start system not working in CR-V
If your CR-V does not start when you perform the remote starting procedure, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- You have disabled a remote engine start setting using the audio/information screen.
- The power mode is not in VEHICLE OFF (LOCK).
- The gear is in a position other than P.
- The hood is open, or any door or the tailgate is unlocked.
- You have already used the remote twice to start the engine.
- Another registered smart entry remote is in the vehicle.
- There is an antenna failure.
- The door is unlocked with the built-in key.
- The engine oil pressure is low.
- The engine coolant temperature is extremely high.
- The security system alarm is not set.
Range issue: If there are buildings and obstacles between your vehicle and the remote, the range will be reduced. The range may be less when the vehicle is running. This distance may vary by external electrical interference.
Your Honda CR-V may not have the remote start feature. Get your vehicle checked by an authorized Honda dealer to confirm if it is equipped with a remote start system.
These are warnings against actions which may cause injury to people/vehicle if the warning is ignored.
- Never start the engine of your CR-V in an enclosed area (such as a garage or indoor parking lot) where exhaust gases may accumulate and create a hazardous environment with potential for Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Breathing CO gas can cause unconsciousness and even kill you.
- Do not start the engine if a child or pet are present in or near the vehicle.
- Always turn off vehicle systems such as the windshield wipers, headlights and radio before leaving the vehicle. If left on, such systems may be damaged or vehicle battery depleted by remote engine start in extreme cold weather.
- Do not use remote start if the vehicle is low on fuel. The vehicle may run out of fuel.
Engine idling law
There are laws against car idling with no passenger or driver inside in many states to protect the environment. It does not mean its completely illegal to use remote start, some states have time limit on how long you can keep the engine running. So check with your local state laws before using the remote start feature on your Honda CR-V.
Can you remote start Honda CR-V from a mobile device?
The fifth generation of Honda CR-V built from 2016 to 2022 does not support remote start feature from an Android or Apple iPhone device.