Infiniti QX55 supports Apple CarPlay that lets you access your iPhone apps like iTunes, Google Maps, Waze and Spotify through the infotainment screen of your vehicle. You can also make phone calls, send messages or use navigation with voice commands using Siri.
Enable CarPlay and Siri on iPhone
You must have iPhone 5 or newer device with iOS 7.1 or newer version to use Apple CarPlay on Infiniti QX55 – wireless CarPlay only works with iOS 9.1 or higher version. Before you begin, ensure CarPlay and Siri are enabled on your iPhone. Also, make sure that the “Press Home for Siri” option is enabled under “Siri & Search” in settings.
If you can’t see CarPlay or Siri & Search under your iPhone settings, then go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps, and make sure both CarPlay and Siri & Search are enabled.
Wireless CarPlay in Infiniti QX55
- Enable WiFi and Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Touch the Menu button in QX55.
- Touch Connections.
- Select Devices tab and then touch Add New.
- Then on your iPhone, go to Settings and then Bluetooth.
- Select your vehicle name (which usually is “Infiniti QX55”) in your iPhone’s Bluetooth discovery list.
- A Bluetooth Pairing Request pop-up will appear on your iPhone with a pin-code. Make sure it matches the code displayed on your QX55’s infotainment screen (for safety reasons) and then confirm the prompt in the vehicle. Also press Pair on iPhone.
- Then touch Allow on Allow Contacts and Favorites Sync prompt on your iPhone if you want to access your phone contacts via Apple CarPlay in QX55.
- After a few seconds a prompt will automatically appear on your iPhone: “Use CarPlay with Infiniti QX55?”. Touch Use CarPlay.
- A message “Connecting to Apple CarPlay” will appear and then CarPlay will launch on the QX55’s display.
CarPlay via USB
- Connect your Apple iPhone to your Infiniti QX55 USB port using an Apple-approved Lightning-to-USB cable.
- Accept Apple CarPlay terms and conditions, if any appear.
- Touch Allow on your iPhone when prompted. This allows the use of CarPlay with your QX55 while phone is locked.
- After a few seconds Apple CarPlay will launch on your QX55’s infotainment system.
If you’re unsure which USB port supports CarPlay on your particular QX55 variant, then consult your vehicle’s owners manual – or you can try plugging in the cable, one by one, in all the USB ports in dashboard and center console.
Enable CarPlay in QX55
If CarPlay does not launch automatically when you plug-in the USB cable in Infiniti QX55, then you may need to enable it in infotainment system settings.
- Press the Menu button.
- Touch Connections.
- Select Devices tab.
- Touch the information icon next to your connected device name.
- Touch Smartphone Projection.
- Select Auto next to Start-up Options.
Note: Select Ask Every Time if you want the system to ask before launching CarPlay in QX55. If you want to disable CarPlay then select Never Start option.
CarPlay not working on Infiniti QX55
If Apple CarPlay does not start on your QX55 when you plug in the USB cable and there is no CarPlay icon in the list of apps in the infotainment system, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- CarPlay is disabled in the infotainment system settings of your QX55.
- CarPlay is disabled in your iPhone, go to ‘Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps’ and enable both CarPlay and Siri.
- The Lightning-to-USB cable you’re using is defective. Try a different cable, preferably original Apple cable.
- The connected USB port on your QX55 does not support CarPlay. Try other USB ports.
- A software glitch is responsible for the CarPlay problem. Try resetting the QX55’s infotainment system to its factory settings.
If you still can’t connect CarPlay in your Infiniti QX55, then you should get your vehicle checked by an authorized Infiniti dealer.
Using Siri on Infiniti QX55
Siri is Apple’s voice recognition feature that helps you to concentrate on the road while driving your QX55 as you can control the functions of the iPhone with voice commands.
The virtual assistant allows you to place phone calls, listen to and send text messages, play music on your iPhone, get directions and use other functions of your iPhone hands-free. You can even ask Siri for current weather conditions, stock prices or upcoming events on your calendar.
To access Siri, press and hold the talk button on the steering wheel of your QX55 until you hear Siri tone.
You can also access Siri by holding down the home button located at the bottom left corner in the CarPlay app.
If the Listen for “Hey Siri” function is enabled in your iPhone device under Siri & Search settings, you can also just simply say: “Hey Siri”. After hearing the audible alert, you can begin asking Siri for assistance.
For best results when using Siri, speak clearly and reduce background noise by closing the windows and moonroof. Also, direct the air vents on dashboard so that they are not pointing towards the vehicle’s microphone.
Which QX55 models support CarPlay?
Wireless Apple CarPlay is available in all QX55 models since the start of its production for model year 2022.
Using Google Maps on Infiniti QX55 with CarPlay
If your iPhone has iOS 14+ operating system, you can freely use Google Maps in Apple CarPlay on your QX55. Apple now allows the use of Google Maps in the home screen. Apple has allowed the competitor’s map service in its car application since iOS 12, but the homescreen that was newly introduced in iOS 13 in 2019 could not yet be equipped with maps. Here, users were still limited to Apple’s own map service. With iOS 14 that changes. Now CarPlay automatically selects the last service used for the view.
Using Waze navigation on Infiniti QX55 with CarPlay
You can use Waze navigation app in CarPlay if you have iOS 12 or higher operating system installed on your iPhone. Download and install Waze app from App Store on your iPhone, then start CarPlay on your QX55’s infotainment system display. Then press Waze icon to launch the app.
Using Spotify on QX55
You can use Spotify to stream music on your QX55. Just install the Spotify app from App Store and its icon will appear in the infotainment display when CarPlay is active.
You can use voice commands to play music hands-free on Spotify with Siri. Just add “on Spotify” at the end so that Siri knows which service you’re referring to (e.g. “Hey, Siri, play my ‘Your Mix of the Week’ playlist on Spotify”).
Siri can play songs, artists, albums, playlists, podcasts, and more. You can also “like” music, ask what’s playing, and control playback (e.g. volume, skip song, play / pause).
Do not disturb while driving
When driving, keep your eyes on the road. A quick look at the navigation device is of course allowed in order not to miss the next junction. The “Do not disturb while driving” function can be activated so that your iPhone does not distract you with unnecessary notifications while driving your QX55. iOS 13 extends this option to CarPlay as well. On your iPhone go to Settings > Do Not Disturb, then scroll down and touch “Activate” under “Do not disturb while driving”.
Sort apps in CarPlay
You can sort CarPlay apps in your QX55 quickly and easily through your iPhone. To do this, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, then select your vehicle under “MY CARS”. On the next screen you can rearrange app icons by touching and dragging them. You can also hide icons by touching the minus button on them.
Not all apps are compatible with CarPlay
If you think you can use all your iPhone apps in your Infiniti QX55 with CarPlay, then you’re wrong. The selection of compatible applications is limited, and you have to live with restrictions, especially with messenger apps. iMessage and WhatsApp can be controlled almost exclusively via Siri. That means you cannot see your message history, but only have new messages read out to you or even dictate messages yourself.
The following apps can be used with CarPlay on your QX55, among others: Music, Phone, News, Podcasts, Audio books, Audible, Google Maps, Sygic TomTomGO, Whatsapp, calendar, Settings, Telegram, Waze, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, Pandora, Youtube Music and Amazon Music.