Your Mitsubishi Outlander may be equipped with auto power windows feature, which automatically opens and closes the windows with one press of corresponding switch. If a window doesn’t fully close in auto mode, you may need to reset it.
The most common cause for auto windows not working in Mitsubishi Outlander is when the 12 volt battery has been replaced or disconnected. The power windows still function, but you have to manually hold the switch to fully close or open the windows. In this case, performing a reset procedure should restore the auto functionality.
- Start your Outlander.
- Close all the doors and windows.
- Open the window by pressing and holding the window control switch. When the window is fully open, keep the switch pressed for a few seconds.
- Close the window by lifting and holding the window control switch. When the window is fully closed, keep the switch held for a few seconds.
Note: Repeat the procedure if the window does not automatically close with one press of the switch. If it still doesn’t work, repeat the procedure without starting the engine and the ignition in ON position. To turn on the ignition in vehicles with start/stop button, press the button without pressing the brake pedal.
Reset Procedure 2
If the above reset instructions do not work for your Outlander, then this alternate method may work.
- Start your Outlander.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Open the window by pressing and holding the window control switch. When the window is fully open, keep the switch pressed for a few seconds. Release the switch, then press it again and hold it for a few seconds.
- Close the window by lifting and holding the window control switch. When the window is fully closed, keep the switch held for a few seconds. Release the switch, then pull it upward again and hold it.
- The one-touch up and down features will then be fully functional.
Note: If the window still doesn’t automatically close in your Outlander, repeat the procedure without starting the engine and the ignition in ON position. To turn on the ignition in vehicles with start/stop button, press the button without pressing the brake pedal.
Window bounce back midway
Mitsubishi Outlander has a power window pinch protection feature which can reduce the risk of being pinched and injured when the windows are closing. If the window cannot close due to resistance or an obstacle, then the window will reopen immediately.
Lubricate the window
If the window in your Outlander bounce back midway after following the reset procedure, the window may be sticking due to high resistance in the window frame. In this case, apply some water resistant silicone lubricant to the side edges of the window. Wipe the excess spray off with a cloth or paper towel to prevent any damage to the paint or the interior.
Window bounce back after fully closing
If the window bounce back and reopens after fully closing with one press, it means the auto window feature needs to be reprogrammed. Follow the reset procedure to fully restore the functionality.
How to operate auto power windows
The one-touch opening and closing function in Mitsubishi Outlander allows the windows to be completely opened or closed with one press of the switch. To use this feature, do not hold the window switch up or down.
- To start the one-touch closing function, pull the window switch upward briefly to the second level.
- To start the one-touch opening function, press the window switch downward briefly to the second level.
- To stop the one-touch opening or closing function, pull or press the switch for that window again.
Careless or unintended use of the power windows in your Outlander can cause serious injuries.
- Do not open or close the power windows if anyone is in the way.
- Never leave children or people requiring assistance unattended in your Outlander when the vehicle is locked. The windows cannot open in an emergency situation.
- Always take all vehicle keys with you when leaving the vehicle. The windows can still be opened or closed using the switches in the doors for a brief period after the ignition has been switched off, as long as the driver’s or front passenger door is not opened.
Auto windows not working in Mitsubishi Outlander is a fairly common problem and should be expected when disconnecting or replacing the 12 volt battery. You do not need to visit a workshop to restore the auto functionality, just reprogram them with provided instructions.