All Ford F-150 pick-up trucks are equipped with a removable tailgate. This guide shows you how you can remove and then reinstall the tailgate.
This guide is specifically for 14th generation of F-150, but it will also work for previous generation models.
- Unlatch the tailgate.
- Disconnect the power door locks in-line connector. It is under the pickup box on the right-hand side of the vehicle near the spare tire.
- Install a protective cap on the in-line connector portion that remains under the pickup box.
Note: A protective cap should be in the glove compartment.
- Partially lower the tailgate. Carefully feed the tailgate harness up through the gap between the pickup box and the bumper and place it out of the way under the pickup box.
- Lower the tailgate.
- Use a screwdriver to gently pry the spring clip on each connector past the head of the support screw. Disconnect the cable.
- Disconnect the other cable.
- Lift the tailgate to 45 degrees from the horizontal position.
- Lift the right-hand side off its hinge.
- Lift the tailgate to 80 degrees from the horizontal position.
- Remove the tailgate from the left-hand side hinge by sliding it to the right.
You can install the tailgate by following the above steps in reverse order.