Nissan Sentra supports remote start feature that allows you to remotely start the engine of your vehicle for the purpose of cooling or preheating the interior before the passengers gets to it.
The remote start feature on Nissan Sentra has many benefits. You can start your vehicle in advance when the weather is too hot or cold outside. The system turns on the air conditioning or heating, making inside cabin temperature more tolerable when you get to your vehicle.
Remote start procedure for Sentra
You can remotely start your Nissan Sentra by following these simple steps:
- If the doors are unlocked, press the LOCK button to lock all doors.
- Press the LOCK button again on the key fob of your Sentra.
- Then within 5 seconds press and hold the REMOTE START button for a few seconds on the key fob.
- The turn signal lights flash and the tail lights illuminate.
- Once started remotely, the engine will run for 10 minutes and then shut down automatically.
The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the engine. A valid key must be inside your vehicle to switch the ignition on and drive your vehicle.
The front parking lights will turn on and remain on as long as the engine is running.
Remotely stop Sentra’s engine
Press and hold the REMOTE START button on the key fob to remotely stop the engine of your Nissan Sentra. The parking lights turn off and the doors remain locked. For this to work, the remote must be in the range of the smart entry system. If the remote is out of the range, the engine will not stop until 10 minutes duration has expired.
Driving after remote start
To start driving your Nissan Sentra when the engine is running after remote start, depress and hold the brake pedal, then press the ENGINE START/STOP button. The engine keeps running during this process.
The engine stops when the shift lever is moved out of P before the ENGINE START/STOP button is pressed.
Extend engine running time
When you remotely start the engine of your Nissan Sentra, it will run for 10 minutes and then shut off automatically. You can perform another remote start procedure by pressing the LOCK button and then holding the REMOTE START button on the key fob, which will run the engine for another 10 minutes.
The second 10 minutes will start immediately when the remote engine start function is performed. For example, if the engine has been running for 5 minutes, and 10 minutes are added, the engine will run for a total of 15 minutes.
Maximum two remote starts
A maximum of two remote starts are allowed between ignition cycles on Sentra. The vehicle must be started normally and driven at speeds of 4 MPH (7 km/h) before the remote engine start procedure can be used again.
Climate control settings
When the engine is started remotely, some systems, such as the air conditioner system, will turn on during a remote engine start, if the system was on the last time the ignition switch was turned off. Therefore it is important to keep your Sentra’s air conditioner turned on and set to your desired temperature before switching off the ignition.
If your Sentra is equipped with auto climate control function, the system may begin heating or cooling the vehicle depending on the outside temperature.
Remote start Nissan Sentra with a mobile device
To remotely start the engine of your Sentra with an Apple iPhone or Android mobile device, you must subscribe to a NissanConnect package that supports the feature, and your vehicle must be in cellular range.
- Download “NissanConnect Services” app from App Store or Google Play on your mobile device.
- Tap the NissanConnect Services app icon on your device to start using the app.
- Sign-in to your MyNISSAN account. If you don’t have an account, then tap Register and create a new account. You will need your vehicle’s VIN to proceed.
- Now tap the Start button on your vehicle’s home screen.
- A confirmation prompt will appear: “Are you sure? This action will remotely start your vehicle.” Tap Yes.
- The turn signal lights flash and the engine starts.
- The engine will run for 10 minutes and then shut down automatically. A countdown is displayed in the app.
- To remotely turn off your Sentra’s engine, touch the “PRESS TO STOP” button displaying the countdown.
Remote start system not working in Sentra
If your Sentra does not start when you perform the remote starting procedure, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- The ignition switch is placed in the ON position.
- The hood is not securely closed.
- The hazard indicator flashers are on.
- The engine is still running. The engine must be completely stopped. This is not applicable when extending engine run time.
- The remote engine start button is not pushed and held for at least 2 seconds.
- The remote engine start button is not pushed and held within 5 seconds of pushing the LOCK button.
- The doors are not closed and locked. (The hazard indicator flashers blink twice to indicate the function is not operated.)
- The liftgate is open. (The hazard indicator flashers blink twice to indicate the function is not operated.)
- The Key System Error warning message remains on in the vehicle information display.
- The theft alarm sounds due to illegal entry into the vehicle. (The hazard indicator flashers blink twice to indicate the function is not operated.)
- Two remote engine starts, or a single remote engine start with an extension, have already been used. (To use the remote engine start function again, the vehicle needs to be driven at speeds of 4 MPH (7 km/h).)
- The shift position is not in the P (Park) position.
Range issue: If there are buildings and obstacles between your vehicle and the remote, the range will be reduced. This distance may vary by external electrical interference.
Your Nissan Sentra may not have the remote start feature. Get your vehicle checked by an authorized Nissan dealer to confirm if it is equipped with a remote start system.
Automatic engine shutdown after remote start
For safety and security reasons, the remote engine start system in Nissan Sentra will stop the engine if running when one or more of the following conditions are met:
- Hazard indicator flashers are turned on.
- Cycle the ignition switch ON and then OFF.
- The extended engine run time has expired.
- The first 10 minute timer has expired.
- The engine hood has been opened.
- The shift position is shifted out of the P (Park) position.
- The theft alarm sounds due to illegal entry into the vehicle.
- The ignition switch is pushed without an Intelligent Key in the vehicle.
- The ignition switch is pushed with an Intelligent Key in the vehicle but the brake pedal is not depressed.
- The accelerator pedal is depressed.
- The vehicle moves after a remote engine start. (The hazard indicator flashers blink once and the engine is stopped.)
These are warnings against actions which may cause injury to people/vehicle if the warning is ignored.
- Never start the engine of your Sentra in an enclosed area (such as a garage or indoor parking lot) where exhaust gases may accumulate and create a hazardous environment with potential for Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Breathing CO gas can cause unconsciousness and even kill you.
- Do not start the engine if a child or pet are present in or near the vehicle.
- Always turn off vehicle systems such as the windshield wipers, headlights and radio before leaving the vehicle. If left on, such systems may be damaged or vehicle battery depleted by remote engine start in extreme cold weather.
- Do not use remote start if the vehicle is low on fuel. The vehicle may run out of fuel.
Engine idling law
There are laws against car idling with no passenger or driver inside in many states to protect the environment. It does not mean its completely illegal to use remote start, some states have time limit on how long you can keep the engine running. So check with your local state laws before using the remote start feature on your Nissan Sentra.