Jeep Gladiator supports remote start feature that allows you to remotely start the engine of your vehicle for the purpose of cooling or preheating the interior before the passengers gets to it.
The remote start feature in Jeep Gladiator has many benefits. You can start your vehicle in advance when the weather is too hot or cold outside. The system turns on the air conditioning or heating, making inside cabin temperature more tolerable when you get to your vehicle.
Remote start procedure for Gladiator
You can remotely start your Jeep Gladiator by following these simple steps:
- Press the REMOTE START button on the key fob twice within five seconds.
- The vehicle doors and tailgate will lock, the turn signals will flash twice, and the horn will chirp twice. Then the engine starts.
- Once started remotely, the engine will run for 15 minutes and then shut down automatically.
The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the engine. A valid key must be inside the vehicle to be able to drive. The parking lights will turn on and remain on during remote start mode.
The remote start procedure must be performed within approximately 328 feet or 100 meters distance from your Gladiator, otherwise the engine may not start. The range may be reduced due to weak battery in the key fob or external signal interference.
Remotely stop Gladiator’s engine
Press the REMOTE START button once on the key fob to remotely stop the engine of your Jeep Gladiator. The engine turns off and the doors remain locked. For this to work, the remote must be in the range of the smart entry system. If the remote is out of the range, the engine will not stop until 15 minutes duration has expired.
Note: To avoid unintentional shutdowns, the system will disable for two seconds after receiving a valid Remote Start request.
Driving after remote start
To start driving your Jeep Gladiator when the engine is running after remote start, either push and release the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the doors, or unlock the vehicle using Keyless Enter-N-Go — Passive Entry via the door handles, and disarm the Vehicle Security system (if equipped). Then, prior to the end of the 15 minute cycle, push and release the START/STOP ignition button.
Note: For vehicles equipped with the Keyless Enter ‘n Go™ — Passive Entry feature, the message “Remote Start Active — Push Start Button” will show in the instrument cluster display until you push the START/STOP ignition button.
Extending engine running time
When you remotely start the engine of your Jeep Gladiator, it will run for 15 minutes and then shut off automatically. You can perform another remote start procedure by pressing the REMOTE START button twice within five seconds on the key fob, which will run the engine for another 15 minutes.
Maximum two remote starts
A maximum of two remote starts are allowed between ignition cycles on Gladiator. The vehicle must be started normally before the remote start procedure can be used again.
Front and rear defrost
If the outside ambient temperature is 40°F (4.5°C) or below, the remote start system in Gladiator will automatically activate front and rear defrost for 15 minutes or less. The time is dependent on the ambient temperature. Once the timer expires, the system will automatically adjust the settings depending on ambient conditions.
Heated and ventilated seats
When remote start is activated in Jeep Gladiator, the heated steering wheel and driver heated seat feature will turn on if selected in the comfort menu screen within Uconnect Settings. In warm weather, the driver vented seat feature will automatically turn on when the Remote Start is activated, if programmed in the comfort menu screen. The vehicle will adjust the climate control settings depending on the outside ambient temperature.
Enable or disable heated and ventilated seats
If equipped and turned on, this feature will turn on the heated seats in your Gladiator when using remote start on cold days.
- Select Settings from the main menu.
- Scroll down and select Seats & Comfort.
- To enable the feature, select Remote Start or All Starts option next to Auto-On Heated/Ventilated Seat & Steering Wheel.
- To disable the feature, select Off option.
This setting will activate the vehicle’s comfort system and heated seats (if equipped) or heated steering wheel (if equipped) when the vehicle is remote started or ignition is started. The “Off” setting will not activate the comfort systems. The “Remote Start” setting will only activate the comfort systems when using remote start feature. The “All Start” setting will activate the comfort systems whenever the vehicle is started.
Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
The climate controls automatically adjust to the optimal temperature and mode settings dependent on the outside ambient temperature. This will occur until the driver’s door is opened, or the ignition is placed in the ON/RUN position, where the climate controls will resume their previous settings.
Manual Temperature Control (MTC)
- In ambient temperatures at 40°F (4.5°C) or below, the climate settings will default to maximum heat, with fresh air entering the cabin. If the front defrost timer expires, the vehicle will enter Mix Mode.
- In ambient temperatures from 40°F (4.5°C) to 78°F (26°C), the climate settings will be based on the last settings selected by the driver.
- In ambient temperatures at 78°F (26°C) or above, the climate settings will default to MAX A/C, Bi-Level Mode, and Recirculation on.
These features will stay on through the duration of Remote Start until the driver’s door is opened, or until the ignition is placed in the ON/RUN position. The climate control settings will change if manually adjusted by the driver while the vehicle is in Remote Start mode, and exit automatic override. This includes the OFF button on the climate controls, which will turn the system off.
When remote start is active and the outside ambient temperature is less than 33°F (0.6°C), the Windshield Wiper De-Icer will activate in Gladiator. Exiting remote start will resume its previous operation. If the Windshield Wiper De-Icer was active, the timer and operation will continue.
Remote start Jeep Gladiator with a mobile device
To remotely start the engine of your Gladiator with an Apple iPhone or Android mobile device, you must be subscribed to a Jeep Connected Services package, and your vehicle must be in cellular range.
- Download “Jeep” app from App Store or Google Play on your mobile device.
- Tap the Jeep app icon on your device to start using the app.
- Sign-in to your Jeep Connect Account. If you don’t have an account, then tap Register and create a new account by following on-screen prompts. You will need your vehicle’s VIN when adding vehicle.
- After logging in, select your vehicle under My Garage.
- Now tap the Start button.
- Enter the PIN code that you set up for your Jeep Connected Services.
- Success: Engine started message will appear at the top of the screen if the engine is successfully started.
- The engine will run for 15 minutes and then shut down automatically.
- To remotely turn off your Gladiator’s engine, touch the Cancel button.
Remote start preconditions
Before you can remote start your Gladiator, make sure all the following conditions are satisfied.
- Gear selector is in PARK.
- All doors are closed.
- Hood is closed.
- Liftgate is closed.
- Hazard is switched off.
- Brake switch inactive (brake pedal not pressed).
- Battery at an acceptable charge level.
- PANIC button not pushed.
- System not disabled from previous Remote Start event.
- Vehicle Security system indicator is flashing.
- Ignition is in OFF position.
- Fuel level meets minimum requirement.
- Vehicle Security system is not signaling an intrusion.
- Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is not illuminated.
- Vehicle is located in an open area.
Remote start system not working in Gladiator
If your Gladiator does not start when you perform the remote starting procedure, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- The hood on your Gladiator is not fully closed.
- One or more of the vehicle doors are open, make sure they are securely closed.
- The transmission is not in park mode (P).
- The 12v battery voltage has gone too low.
- If an engine fault is present or fuel level is low, the vehicle will start and then shut down in 10 seconds.
- Two remote engine start procedures have already been performed.
- The remote start system in your Gladiator has malfunctioned.
Range issue: If there are buildings and obstacles between your vehicle and the remote, the range will be reduced. This distance may vary by external electrical interference.
Your Jeep Gladiator may not have the remote start feature. Get your vehicle checked by an authorized Jeep dealer to confirm if it is equipped with a remote start system.
Remote start error messages
The following messages will display in the instrument cluster display of Jeep Gladiator if it fails to remote start, or exits remote start prematurely:
- Remote Start Cancelled — Door Open
- Remote Start Cancelled — Hood Open
- Remote Start Cancelled — Fuel Low
- Remote Start Cancelled — Liftgate Open
- Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle To Reset
- Remote Start Cancelled — Too Cold
- Remote Start Cancelled — Time Expired
The message will stay active until the ignition is placed in the ON/RUN position.
These are warnings against actions which may cause injury to people/vehicle if the warning is ignored.
- Never start the engine of your Gladiator in an enclosed area (such as a garage or indoor parking lot) where exhaust gases may accumulate and create a hazardous environment with potential for Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Breathing CO gas can cause unconsciousness and even kill you.
- Do not start the engine if a child or pet are present in or near the vehicle.
- Always turn off vehicle systems such as the windshield wipers, headlights and radio before leaving the vehicle. If left on, such systems may be damaged or vehicle battery depleted by remote engine start in extreme cold weather.
- Do not use remote start if the vehicle is low on fuel. The vehicle may run out of fuel.
Engine idling law
There are laws against car idling with no passenger or driver inside in many states to protect the environment. It does not mean its completely illegal to use remote start, some states have time limit on how long you can keep the engine running. So check with your local state laws before using the remote start feature on your Jeep Gladiator.