Hyundai Ioniq 5 supports remote start feature that allows you to remotely start the vehicle for the purpose of cooling or preheating the interior before the passengers gets to it.
The remote start feature in Hyundai Ioniq 5 has many benefits. You can start your vehicle in advance when the weather is too hot or cold outside. The system turns on the air conditioning or heating, making inside cabin temperature more tolerable when you get to your vehicle.
Remote start procedure for Ioniq 5
You can remotely start your Hyundai Ioniq 5 by following these simple steps:
- Press the LOCK button on the key fob of your Ioniq 5.
- Then within 4 seconds press and hold the REMOTE START button for over 2 seconds on the key fob.
- The vehicle starts and the turn signal lights flash multiple times.
- Once started remotely, the vehicle will remain on for 10 minutes and then shut down automatically.
The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the vehicle. A valid key must be inside the vehicle to be able to drive.
The remote start procedure must be performed within 32 feet or 10 meters distance from your Ioniq 5, otherwise the vehicle may not start. The range may be reduced due to weak battery in the key fob or external signal interference.
Remotely stop Ioniq 5
Press the REMOTE START button once on the key fob to remotely stop your Hyundai Ioniq 5. The vehicle turns off and the doors remain locked. For this to work, the remote must be in the range of the smart entry system. If the remote is out of the range, the vehicle will not turn off until 10 minutes duration has expired.
Driving after remote start
To start driving your Hyundai Ioniq 5 after a remote start, enter the vehicle with the smart key on you and close the door. You don’t have to press the brake pedal and start/stop button. The vehicle automatically turns on all the functions when it detects the smart key inside the vehicle.
Extending running time
Most vehicles from other automakers allow two remote starts before you have to manually start the vehicle from inside the vehicle, but not with Hyundai. When you remotely start your Hyundai Ioniq 5, it will run for 10 minutes and then shut off automatically. That is it! You cannot perform another remote start procedure to extend running time. You must start the vehicle normally from inside the vehicle before you are allowed to use remote start again.
Remote start Hyundai Ioniq 5 with a mobile device
To remotely start your Ioniq 5 with an Apple iPhone or Android mobile device, you must be subscribed to Bluelink, and your vehicle must be in cellular range.
- Download “MyHyundai with Bluelink” app from App Store or Google Play on your mobile device.
- Tap the MyHyundai app icon on your device to start using the app.
- Sign-in to your Bluelink Account. If you don’t have an account, then tap Register and create a new account by following on-screen prompts. You will need your vehicle’s VIN to proceed.
- Now tap the CLIMATE START button under Remote Commands on your vehicle’s home screen.
- Select from one of the presets, or tap Remote Start Without Presets.
- Select your desired settings for cabin temperature, duration, front defroster, rear window and side mirror defrosters, and heated or ventilated seats. Then tap Start Vehicle Now.
- A notification message will appear, “Remote Start In Progress: Vehicle is processing Remote Start. This can take up to two minutes.”
- The vehicle will run for your chosen duration (maximum 10 minutes) and then shut down automatically. A countdown is displayed in the app.
- To remotely turn off your Ioniq 5, touch the CLIMATE STOP button under Remote Commands.
Note: Some options may not be available, depending on your vehicle’s equipment.
Remote start preconditions
Before you can remote start your Ioniq 5, make sure all the following conditions are satisfied.
- Ignition is OFF.
- Alarm is armed (i.e., vehicle locked by key fob Remote Door Lock).
- Gearshift level is in the “P” (park) position.
- Brake pedal is not depressed.
- The hood is securely closed.
- All the doors are closed and locked.
- The tailgate is closed.
- The security/panic system is not activated.
- The proximity key is not inside the vehicle.
- The battery power is not low.
- Vehicle is located in an open area.
- It has been less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off.
- Vehicle located in area with good cell reception.
- Vehicle is not connected to a charger.
Remote start system not working in Ioniq 5
If your Ioniq 5 does not start when you perform the remote starting procedure, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- The hood on your Ioniq 5 is not fully closed.
- The battery charge level is too low.
- One or more of the vehicle doors are open, make sure they are securely closed.
- The transmission is not in park mode (P).
- One remote start procedure has already been performed.
- The remote start button is not pressed and held within 4 seconds of pushing the LOCK button on the key fob.
- The remote start system in your Ioniq 5 has malfunctioned.
Range issue: If there are buildings and obstacles between your vehicle and the remote, the range will be reduced. This distance may vary by external electrical interference.
Your Hyundai Ioniq 5 may not have the remote start feature. Get your vehicle checked by an authorized Hyundai dealer to confirm if it is equipped with a remote start system.
Automatic shutdown after remote start
For safety and security reasons, the remote start system in Hyundai Ioniq 5 will stop the vehicle if running when one or more of the following conditions are met:
- After 10 minutes or after selected timer runs out.
- Brake is pressed without proximity key inside the vehicle.
- Alarm is triggered without proximity key inside the vehicle.
- Door/tailgate is opened from inside the vehicle.