Genesis GV80 supports remote start feature that allows you to remotely start the engine of your vehicle for the purpose of cooling or preheating the interior before the passengers gets to it.
The remote start feature in Genesis GV80 has many benefits. You can start your vehicle in advance when the weather is too hot or cold outside. The system turns on the air conditioning or heating, making inside cabin temperature more tolerable when you get to your vehicle.
Remote start procedure for GV80
You can remotely start your Genesis GV80 by following these simple steps:
- Press the LOCK button on the key fob of your GV80.
- Then within 4 seconds press and hold the REMOTE START button for over 2 seconds on the key fob.
- The engine starts and the turn signal lights flash multiple times.
- Once started remotely, the engine will run for 10 minutes and then shut down automatically.
The vehicle remains secured when you have remotely started the engine. A valid key must be inside the vehicle to be able to drive.
The remote start procedure must be performed within 32 feet or 10 meters distance from your GV80, otherwise the engine may not start. The range may be reduced due to weak battery in the key fob or external signal interference.
Remotely stop GV80’s engine
Press the REMOTE START button once on the key fob to remotely stop the engine of your Genesis GV80. The engine turns off and the doors remain locked. For this to work, the remote must be in the range of the smart entry system. If the remote is out of the range, the engine will not stop until 10 minutes duration has expired.
Driving after remote start
To start driving your Genesis GV80 when the engine is running after remote start, enter the vehicle with the smart key on you and close the door. You don’t have to press the brake pedal and engine start/stop button. The vehicle automatically turns on all the functions when it detects the smart key inside the vehicle.
Extending engine running time
Most vehicles from other automakers allow two remote engine starts before you have to manually start the vehicle from inside the vehicle, but not with Genesis. When you remotely start the engine of your Genesis GV80, it will run for 10 minutes and then shut off automatically. That is it! You cannot perform another remote start procedure to extend engine running time. You must start the engine normally from inside the vehicle before you are allowed to use remote start again.
Remote start Genesis GV80 with a mobile device
To remotely start the engine of your GV80 with an Apple iPhone or Android mobile device, you must be subscribed to Genesis Connected Services (first 3 years are free), and your vehicle must be in cellular range.
Compatibility: Remote Start with Climate Control is only available for Push Button Start-equipped vehicles with an Automatic Transmission or Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and Fully Automatic Temperature Control.
- Download “Genesis Intelligent Assistant” app from App Store or Google Play on your mobile device.
- Tap the Genesis app icon on your device to start using the app.
- Sign-in to your MyGenesis Account. If you don’t have an account, then tap Register and create a new account by following on-screen prompts. You will need your vehicle’s VIN when adding vehicle.
- Open Remote tab from the bottom of the app.
- Now tap the Start button.
- Select from one of the presets, or tap Start vehicle without presets.
- Select your desired settings for cabin temperature, engine duration, front defroster, rear window and side mirror defrosters, heated steering wheel, and heated or ventilated seats. Then tap Submit.
- Enter the PIN code that you set up for your Genesis Connected Services.
- The engine will run for your chosen duration (maximum 10 minutes) and then shut down automatically. A countdown is displayed in the app.
- To remotely turn off your GV80’s engine, touch the Stop button in Remote tab.
Note: Some options may not be available, depending on your vehicle’s equipment.
Activate Connected Services in GV80
You must first activate Connected Services in your GV80 before you can use Genesis Intelligent Assistant app to remotely start your vehicle.
- Turn on your vehicle and put it in park.
- Go to the infotainment system home screen and select Connected Services from the menu.
- Then select Connected Services Settings.
- Select Activate Connected Services.
- Select Activate.
- Activation may take up to 5 minutes. Do not turn off the vehicle during the process.
Remote start preconditions
Before you can remote start your GV80, make sure all the following conditions are satisfied.
- Ignition is OFF
- Alarm is armed (i.e., vehicle locked by key fob Remote Door Lock)
- Gearshift level is in the “P” (park) position
- Brake pedal is not depressed
- Engine hood is securely closed
- All the doors are closed and locked
- The tailgate or trunk lid is closed
- The security/panic system is not activated
- The proximity key is not inside the vehicle
- The battery power is not low
- Vehicle is located in an open area
- It has been less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off
- Vehicle located in area with good cell reception
Remote start system not working in GV80
If your GV80 does not start when you perform the remote starting procedure, it can be due to a number of reasons:
- The hood on your GV80 is not fully closed.
- The vehicle is low on fuel.
- One or more of the vehicle doors are open, make sure they are securely closed.
- The transmission is not in park mode (P).
- The 12v battery voltage has gone too low.
- The service engine light is turned on in the instrument cluster.
- One remote engine start procedure has already been performed.
- The remote engine start button is not pressed and held within 4 seconds of pushing the LOCK button on the key fob.
- The remote start system in your GV80 has malfunctioned.
Range issue: If there are buildings and obstacles between your vehicle and the remote, the range will be reduced. This distance may vary by external electrical interference.
Your Genesis GV80 may not have the remote start feature. Get your vehicle checked by an authorized Genesis dealer to confirm if it is equipped with a remote start system.
Automatic engine shutdown after remote start
For safety and security reasons, the remote engine start system in Genesis GV80 will stop the engine if running when one or more of the following conditions are met:
- After 10 minutes or after selected engine timer runs out.
- Brake is pressed without proximity key inside the vehicle.
- Alarm is triggered without proximity key inside the vehicle.
- Door/trunk is opened from inside the vehicle.
These are warnings against actions which may cause injury to people/vehicle if the warning is ignored.
- Never start the engine of your GV80 in an enclosed area (such as a garage or indoor parking lot) where exhaust gases may accumulate and create a hazardous environment with potential for Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Breathing CO gas can cause unconsciousness and even kill you.
- Do not start the engine if a child or pet are present in or near the vehicle.
- Always turn off vehicle systems such as the windshield wipers, headlights and radio before leaving the vehicle. If left on, such systems may be damaged or vehicle battery depleted by remote engine start in extreme cold weather.
- Do not use remote start if the vehicle is low on fuel. The vehicle may run out of fuel.
Engine idling law
There are laws against car idling with no passenger or driver inside in many states to protect the environment. It does not mean its completely illegal to use remote start, some states have time limit on how long you can keep the engine running. So check with your local state laws before using the remote start feature on your Genesis GV80.