Programming a new key on Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is an uncomplicated task if you already have two recognized keys and only requires a few simple steps. This article will show you how to program a new key on your vehicle. You can program up to eight keys on a single vehicle.
Method 1: Must have two keys already registered
- Insert your first original get into the ignition and turn it on.
- After passage of a few seconds, turn the ignition off and remove the key.
- Immediately after removing the first key, insert the second original key in the ignition and turn it on. Make sure you insert the second key within five seconds, otherwise it may not work.
- Wait a few seconds and turn off the ignition. Remove the key.
- Now insert the new key which you want to register into the ignition and turn it on. You must do it within five seconds from previous step.
- The key will register and the security light will turn off after a few seconds.
- Repeat the steps for any more new keys, you can program up to eight keys on one vehicle.
Note: If you have lost or damaged a key, you can get a new one made at the dealership.
Method 2: Programming without original keys
Follow this method if you don’t have keys that are already registered with the car. Note that as per the Canadian regulation, you must contact your dealer, so this method is for United States only.
This process can take over 30 minutes for the programming of the first key. Before starting make sure the vehicle is turned off, and all the new keys that you wish to program are with you.
- Insert the new key you wish to register with vehicle into the ignition.
- Turn on the ignition which will result in security light coming on.
- Keep the ignition on for ten minutes, after which the security light will turn off automatically.
- Turn off the ignition after the security light turns off.
- Repeat the steps from 2 to 4 twice. After you have completed this process for three times, the key will successfully register with the vehicle and all previously registered keys will become null and void.
- To register second key, turn the ignition off, insert second new key and turn the ignition on.
- After two keys have been recognized by the on-board computer, you can registered more keys using Method 1 shown previously.
Registering Smart Key
There is no way to register a new smart key without your dealer’s assistance. This is for security reasons, so head to your dealership and get a new one made.