The Toyota Fortuner is a popular mid-size SUV that is known for its ruggedness, durability, and off-road capabilities. One of the basic maintenance tasks that every vehicle owner should know is how to open the hood of their car. This guide will help you quickly and easily access the engine compartment of your Toyota Fortuner for routine maintenance or repairs.
Caution: Do not pull the hood release lever while driving.
How to open the hood
Opening the hood of a Toyota Fortuner is a simple process that can be completed in just a few steps. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you open the hood of your Toyota Fortuner:
- Find the hood release lever. The hood release lever is located inside the cabin of your Toyota Fortuner, below the steering wheel column, and next to the fuel door release lever.
- Once you have located the hood release lever, pull it towards you. This will disengage the hood latch and pop the hood slightly.
- After pulling the hood release lever, move to the front of the vehicle and locate the hood latch, which is located in the center of the hood, just above the Toyota emblem.
- To release the hood latch, place your fingers under the hood and pull the latch upwards. This will disengage the latch and fully open the hood.
- Once the hood is fully open, use the hood support rod to hold the hood in place. The hood support rod is located on the underside of the hood and can be secured in place by inserting it into the provided slot.
How to close the hood
After you are done with your maintenance or repair work, it is important to close the hood of your Toyota Fortuner properly and securely. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by removing the hood support rod from its slot on the underside of the hood.
- Gently lower the hood and let it rest on the latch.
- With one hand, press down on the center of the hood to fully engage the latch.
- After closing the hood, give it a firm tug to make sure it is properly secured. You should feel a solid click when the latch engages.
It’s important to make sure that the hood is securely closed before driving your Toyota Fortuner to prevent it from flying up while driving, which can be dangerous.
Accessing the engine bay of your Toyota Fortuner can be a simple and routine task, but it is important to follow some safety tips to prevent injury and damage to your vehicle. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when accessing the engine bay:
- Turn off the engine – Before accessing the engine bay, turn off the engine and keep the key with you. This will prevent the engine from accidentally starting and causing injury, for example, a kid pressing the push start button while you’re working on the engine.
- Allow the engine to cool down: The engine can become very hot, so it is important to allow it to cool down before accessing the engine bay. This can help prevent burns and other injuries.
- Wear protective gear: When accessing the engine bay, wear protective gear such as gloves, safety goggles, and closed-toe shoes. This can help protect you from injury.
- Use the hood support rod: Always use the hood support rod to hold the hood open when accessing the engine bay. This will prevent the hood from falling and causing injury or damage to your vehicle.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing and jewelry: Loose clothing and jewelry can get caught in the engine components and cause injury. It is best to remove these items or wear fitted clothing when accessing the engine bay.
- Avoid touching hot engine components: Some engine components can become very hot, so avoid touching them to prevent burns and other injuries.
By following these safety tips, you can safely access the engine bay of your Toyota Fortuner for routine maintenance or repairs. If you are unsure about any aspect of accessing the engine bay, it is best to consult a professional mechanic for guidance.