Ford F-150 may be equipped with an integrated tailgate step and grab bar that can be helpful when climbing into the bed of the truck.
Note: Keep the step load below the total maximum load of 350 lb (159 kg).
1. To use the step, first lower the tailgate.
2. Then press the black release button in the center of the step molding. The step will pop out a little, so just pull it all the way until it gently falls into a lower position.
3. Next, grab the yellow bar top to the left of the step. Pull until the black bar is fully extended and lift it up until it’s locked into place. Then, pull the chrome interior bar all of the way up. You’ll know the bar is fully extended when you hear a click.
The bar can be used as a grab handle to help pull yourself up into the truck bed.
To reduce the risk of falling:
• Only operate the step when your vehicle is on a level surface.
• Only operate the step in areas with sufficient lighting.
• Make sure you use the grab handle when climbing on the step.
• Do not use the step with bare feet.
• Make sure the step is clean before use.
• Keep the step load below the total maximum load of 350 lb (159 kg).
Stowing the Tailgate Step
When you’re ready to fold up the step, press the yellow number 1 button on the extender bar and guide it down with your hand to allow it to lower into the black bar.
Now, press the yellow number 2 button at the base of the bar. Fold the bar toward you and push it back into the tailgate.
Finally, lift the step up until it’s horizontal and push it back into the tailgate until it clicks.
Note: Make sure to close and fully latch the step before moving your vehicle. Do not drive with the step or grab handle open.
Note: The power tailgate cannot close if the step is opened. A warning message appears and a chime sounds. After stowing step the power close function is restored.
Which F-150 models have tailgate step?
Power tailgate with tailgate step and tailgate work surface is a standard feature only on Limited variant. Its an optional feature on Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum. Tailgate step is also optional on XL and XLT trims, but comes without power tailgate.