- Ford also introduces an electrified version for the Fiesta: 48-volt EcoBoost Hybrid technology offers a 5% improvement in fuel consumption and even more driving fun.
- Now also available for Fiesta, The Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go and Speed Sign Recognition to better address traffic, urban and extra urban more safely.
- FordPass Connect integrated modem technology provides an always connected ownership experience and provides a variety of features through the FordPass app, including the Door Lock / Unlock that allows remote access to the car.
Fiesta, the best-selling Ford model in Europe, is now also available in a new electrified version.
the Ford EcoBoost Hybrid offers greater efficiency, while integrating the driving fun typical of the Blue Oval with more powerful performance, greater responsiveness and acceleration.
The 48 volt Mild-Hybrid technology is introduced together with new sophisticated driver assistance technologies, including Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go and Speed Sign Recognition, to better deal with urban and extra urban traffic.
“The addition of EcoBoost Hybrid technology to Fiesta’s already highly acclaimed driving dynamics means that customers will be able to have more power and expect even more from their car, combined with reduced fuel consumption,” said Roelant de Waard, Vice President, Marketing, Sales & Service, Ford of Europe.” Fiesta EcoBoost Hybrid will allow us to offer the benefits of electrification to an increasing number of customers.”
Ford is committed to having an electrified version for each vehicle sold in Europe and consumers will be able to choose from 18 Ford electrified vehicles by the end of 2021.
In addition, Fiesta’s non-hybrid engines have been further improved, thanks to the latest generation 1.0 EcoBoost and a new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, to optimize efficiency and CO 2 emissions.
Fiesta is now more connected than ever, thanks to the introduction of the FordPass Connect integrated modem technology that offers a simpler and more rewarding ownership experience thanks also to the functions of the FordPass app.
The wide Fiesta range includes the Connect and Titanium versions, the SUV-inspired Active crossover, the sporty ST-Line and the exclusive Vignale, in three and five-door body models, according to specific declinations of each set-up. In 2019, the Blue Oval sold over 227,100 units in Europe and over 31,700 in Italy.
EcoBoost Hybrid: hybrid efficiency
Even Fiesta customers can now benefit from Ford’s sophisticated EcoBoost Hybrid technology, first introduced on the Puma crossover in late 2019.
Available with 125 HP, Fiesta EcoBoost Hybrid uses the 1.0 EcoBoost 3-cylinder petrol engine with a starter / generator (BISG) system driven by an 11.5 kW belt, which replaces the standard alternator, allowing recovery and energy storage during vehicle deceleration and charging of an air-cooled 48-volt lithium-ion battery pack.
The BISG also acts as an engine, integrating perfectly with the three-cylinder engine, uses the stored energy to provide assistance to the electric torque of the engine during driving and normal acceleration, in addition to operating the vehicle’s electrical components.
The Mild-Hybrid engine continuously monitors how the vehicle is used to determine when and with what intensity to recharge the battery and when to use the stored battery charge, in one of the following two ways:
- Replacement of the torque, which uses the functionality of the electric motor as a starter / generator to provide up to 24 Nm of torque – reducing the activity of the petrol engine for an improvement in fuel efficiency, contributing to the achievement of 91 g/km of emissions of CO 2 and 4.0 l/100 km of consumption (NEDC) and 112 g/km and 5.0 l/100 km (WLTP). Using torque replacement, the 125 HP EcoBoost Hybrid offers a fuel consumption improvement of 5%, compared to the traditional 125 HP 1.0 EcoBoost engine (NEDC) and up to 10%, according to Ford data, in the scenarios of urban driving
- Integration of the torque, which uses the functionality of the electric motor as a starter / generator to maximize the usable torque, up to 20 Nm above the level available from the fully loaded petrol engine only.
The BISG also allowed Ford engineers to reduce the compression ratio of the 1.0 EcoBoost engine and to add a larger turbocharger for more power, attenuating the turbo lag with the integration of the torque that makes the engine run faster, to always keep the turbocharger response performing.
Furthermore, the BISG allows the Fiesta EcoBoost Hybrid Start & Stop technology to operate in a wider range of scenarios, for even greater fuel savings, even in the event of deceleration down to a speed below 25 km/h and even when the vehicle is running, with the clutch pedal pressed.
Both Fiesta EcoBoost Hybrid and traditional petrol engines – available with 95 HP and 125 HP – are equipped with cylinder deactivation technology, which can automatically stop one of the cylinders when full engine capacity is not required. The deactivation procedure allows you to disengage or re-engage a cylinder in 14 milliseconds – 20 times faster than a blink – without compromising on performance or precision.
The 1.0 EcoBoost 125 HP engine from Fiesta is also available in combination with a new 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission, which offers smoother gear changes and fuel consumption improvements of up to 15% compared to the previous 100 HP 1.0 EcoBoost with six-speed automatic transmission (NEDC), despite being able to offer 25% more power. In addition, a diesel version is available for Ford Fiesta, the 85 bhp 1.5 EcoBlue.
Technological and connected Fiesta
The technologies introduced for the first time on Fiesta offer a more precise, relaxing and connected driving experience: supporting drivers in every scenario, urban or suburban, with greater safety.
The Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go and Speed Sign Recognition supports the car in maintaining a safe distance from vehicles ahead and reduce stress during long trips, adjusting the speed within the limits by monitoring the traffic signals.
The Stop & Go function – available with the 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission – allows the ACC system to completely stop the vehicle in the start-stop phase using up to 50% of the total braking force and restarts it automatically if the duration of the stop is less than 3 seconds. In the event of a stop longer than 3 seconds, the driver can press the button on the steering wheel or gently apply the accelerator.
FordPass Connect modem technology as standard allows customers to remotely control multiple vehicle functions. In addition to helping drivers plan faster and less stressful journeys thanks to Live Traffic, real-time traffic updates, through the FordPass app, customers can control a series of functions including the Door Lock / Unlock, which allows the remote access to the car and the Remote Start, which allows remote ignition for the 7-speed automatic transmission versions, the Vehicle Locator and the Vehicle Status which provides information relating to fuel, oil and the anti-theft system.
Fiesta’s SYNC 3 communication and entertainment system has also been updated to be more intuitive and easier to use, with a new user interface featuring larger buttons, displayed on the 8″ color touchscreen. Compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™ remains included for free. A new wireless charging pad is also available to charge your devices on the go.
Additional updates for the Fiesta range include:
- Perpendicular Park Assist now available for Fiesta Active and ST ‑ Line, for hands-free parking maneuvers even perpendicular.
- Cross Traffic Alert with Active Braking, supports drivers to drive in reverse with greater safety, signaling to the driver when other vehicles approach the sides in the blind corner and allows, in the event that the driver does not respond to the signals, to brake to avoid o reduce the consequences of a possible collision.
- Driving modes Sport and Trail in addition to the Drive Modes Normal, Eco and Active for Fiesta Active, to better face each driving scenario.
- The sub-woofer of the B&O Sound System, already available for Fiesta, is moved on the wheel arch to maximize space for luggage and make a spare wheel available also in combination with the B&O Sound System.